2007-10-11

Sea Stories

Sea stories have a point. They are not mere narrative. Drill may have started as narrative, though.

I've been trying to figure out when I wrote the first version. It's type-written (probably on my old Olympia portable) but on sheets that have perforated edges -- like the old sort of computer paper. The frame makes we wonder if I wasn't connected with Evans and Sutherland when I wrote it. Kind of subversive if that were so.

If so, I would have written it in the early 1980s. My memory is a little hazy about when the events took place. At the end of the first Med deployment -- since I didn't come home from the second -- so somewhere in the range 1964-5. The destroyer in the story is an Adam's class DDG. The picture is, in fact, the original, the USS Charles F. Adams, DDG-2.